Friday, September 10, 2010

Tight Spots

I began my time with God today by very honestly talking to Him about some things that are heavy on me right now, and He reminded me of Psalm 46:10: "Be still and know that I am God."  The NASB translation I'm using actually translates it, "Cease striving and know that I am God."  I love that.  Makes me think of someone who is almost drowning--they have to stop panicking and flailing around when someone comes to help, or neither of them will get very far.  I went back to the beginning of the Psalm and read some more familiar words:

"God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble."

As I read the verse, I noticed a couple of text note indicators.  So I checked them out to see what was up, and I discovered that another way to translate this verse is,

"God is our refuge and strength, 
Abundantly available for help in tight places."

Wow.  I can think of some tight places in my life right now, that's for sure.  Tight places that frustrate me, that worry me, that hurt when I try to wiggle out of them . . . but God is abundantly available for help.  How incredible is that?  Abundant--overflowing, much more that what's needed, profuse.  The God of the universe (who is Himself the *definition* of abundant!) is not just here to help, He is abundantly available.  He doesn't give just a little, or just what's needed--He gives all that He is, and He floods over my tight places.  He doesn't hold back.  He is a lavish God, giving us Himself, more than we could ever need--and still He gives.  He lavished His grace on us, giving the priceless gift of His Son without hesitating over the cost or how we would respond.  How silly of me to sit here and try to wrestle my way out of my tight places, when He is ready and abundantly available to help!  All I have to do is ask--and stop trying to wiggle out by myself!

No comments:

Post a Comment