Thursday, May 20, 2010

Baby birds!

For the second year in a row, we have barn swallows nesting just outside our front door.


It's been fascinating to watch them build their nest, and although I know it's not unusual, I think it's neat that they remembered where they nested and came back again.  Especially since their first nest (along with four nestlings) was destroyed in a storm last year (tornado, or close to it--it may not have been actually touching down when it passed over our house).  They built another one and hatched another brood, so I guess since those were successful, it was still a safe place!

I was curious how things were progressing the other day, so I climbed up with my camera and saw this:

(one teeny tiny beak on the left)

and then, today, this:

This was their reaction to the flash every time. *grin*


The boys are fascinated by them as well.  I can't wait till they start learning to fly and are hopping all over the porch!

No comments:

Post a Comment